Eleven people died and another twenty are missing after the passage of a cyclone between Thursday and Friday in the extreme south of Brazil, announced on Saturday 17 June by the local government.
“According to the State Subprefecture for Civil Protection and Protection, eleven people died from the effects of the cyclone”the state government of Rio Grande do Sul, bordering Uruguay and Argentina, said in a statement. “Eighteen people are still missing in Caraa and two in Três Forquilhas”two locations in the east of the region, the statement said.
In prevention, 602 inhabitants had been evacuated from risk areas. A total of 2,330 had their homes damaged. The governor of the state, Eduardo Leite, went by helicopter to the most affected areas on Saturday, accompanied in particular by rescuers.
“Mapping affected areas”
In Caraa, a social center has been transformed into a hostel to accommodate the hundreds of victims. “The situation in Caraa worries us deeply. It is crucial that we can (…) quickly map the main affected areas and identify those in need of assistance »called Mr. Leite, mentioned in the press release.
According to him, state firefighters have already come to the rescue of 2,400 people in the areas affected by the cyclone. “Our main goal is first and foremost to protect and save lives. Rescuing isolated people, locating the missing and providing assistance to families »said Mr. Leite.